Book Review, Crochet Cute Critters
When I first picked up my hook as an adult to begin crocheting, I did as I typically do when learning new things...I try the skill in as many ways as possible. That meant: something flat in rows, something flat in the round, mixing up stitch placements, shaping with short rows, and on and on. One of the techniques I really had fun with was making amigurumi--those soft and 3D toys and objects that are so cute and full of variety. My boy was young, and he loved the squishy little critters I made him that could be so personalized--and the pretend that was possible with them. Today I'm hopping in to share with you the perfect book for a beginner to have a go at making an alphabet of amigurumi critters.
The book was written by the creative Sarah Zimmerman, who I've admired since I first came upon her clever and simple designs on her blog Repeat Crafter Me. It contains 26 adorable animals from A-Z--Alex the Alligator to Zina the Zebra with all the letters in between, each as cute as the one before it.
If you are like I was when I was just trying my hand at making 3D crochet objects, this book is the one. It is an ideal book for a beginning crocheter because she has included:
- details about the essential tools and supplies
- complete materials lists for each little critter
- step-by-step instructions with images of the various stitches used, including the special stitches (like increases and decreases)
- detailed instructions on finishing your little guy--stuffing, joining, fastening parts, and facial parts
In addition, each project includes:
- beautiful photographs in full color with instructions that are clear and easy to read
- a full supplies list, sizing, and notes, including the exact yarn and colors used in the sample
One of my favorite things about the book is the Contents page which shows, at a glance with a thumbnail and adorable name, each and every one of the 26 projects in the book.
I'm thinking my first project is going to be Henrietta the Hippo...or Uniqua the Unicorn or...now where's my hook?
Let me know your thoughts about the book and feel free to share your projects in my Felted Button Crochet Community on Facebook here. See you there! And stay tuned for a colorful new pattern coming out next week!!
| On the Board | -- Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about discovering who God created you to be.